Know Your Home Electricity Use
As you get ready for the start of a new decade, you might be predicting what your energy bills will look like. With winter heating and the cost of holiday lights, you might be expecting a higher than average energy bill even if you have the best electric rates for your neighborhood. But smart energy shoppers will know that this year’s winter energy bills may be lower than last year’s, especially if you take one simple step.
Consider the electricity usage of your devices.
Some devices use up a lot of electricity each time they’re used while other low-key devices use a small amount to stay ready for use. Your appliances, devices, and gadgets can add up and influence your CT electricity bill. That’s why learning what makes the biggest dent in your electricity usage easier to control your monthly budget.
CT Home Appliances Using the Most Electricity
If you have ever had an unexpectedly high energy bill, your appliances are likely the cause. According to a 2015 EIA use of energy survey, homes generally spend about 43% of their monthly energy on space heating, 19% on water heating, and 8% on air conditioning. That means 70% of the average home’s energy bill is dedicated solely to these three systems, leaving 30% to your refrigeration, lighting, and other devices or gadgets.
But what does this mean for your bill?
According to the EIA 2018 Average Monthly Bill report, Connecticut uses an average of 724 kWh of electricity per month. That means that those four appliances use 506.8 kWh of power on their own. If you are on United Illuminating’s standard service generation rate of 10.5607¢ per kWh starting January 1st, then about $53.52 of your generation costs are dedicated to heating, AC, water heaters alone!
But let’s not forget the unexpected costs from Christmas lights.
Electricity Cost of Christmas Lights
Festive lighting is one of the most fun parts of the holidays, but it can certainly be the most expensive and time consuming. Setting up the perfect display takes time, so you might be tempted to leave the lights on until late January or early February. But check out how much it can add to the bill from your Connecticut electricity supplier.
A typical light display of a wreath, garland, outdoor decorations, and 10 strings of lights uses about 635 watts of power. These can add about $67 to your bill for generation supply alone.
It sounds like a lot, but you don’t have to swear off getting into the holiday spirit yet. Because there are ways you can save money.
Reduce Spending On Your CT Electricity Use
In June, 2018 the EIA released a residential energy survey that includes details of how today’s devices add to power use. While the big spenders, like AC or heating, aren’t easy to do without year-round, you can unplug other some of your other electronics when you’re not using them. You can also turn off the lights, TVs, and radios in unused rooms or while you sleep.
Just be careful about your smart devices. An increasing number of gadgets and devices consume power to remain ready for use at the push of a button and while one or two won’t make a huge dent in your savings, 10 or 20 will. You can find a good estimate on your power usage using this appliance and home electronic estimate tool.
Proper thermostat operation can also save you as much as 10% a year if you lower your heat by 7-10° for 8 hours a day. The department of energy suggests that keeping your temperature at 68° during waking hours and around 60° when everyone is asleep provides the best tradeoff between comfort and savings.
Also, consider purchasing energy-efficient products that will help reduce your long-term spendings. Some energy-efficient washers use 20% less power than regular versions and still cost the same. The dollars and cents you save will add up fast.
Knowing Your Home Electricity Use Saves Money
The holidays and winter months can be an expensive time of the year. Between festive decorations, heating, and appliance use many homes are going to face high energy bills. But knowing how your use appliances that consume the most electricity will help you learn how to reduce your usage. Learning how to do that will help you save energy and help lower your bills. You can learn more about pricing and energy shopping by comparing rates and plans at https://www.ctenergyratings.com.